Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Anger Monster Within

Have you ever wondered, dear reader, why it is that when you buy a new car, you suddenly see that car on the road every where you go? I remember when I bought my first van, and apparently everyone else had gone out and bought one the same day.

Well, it seems I am a trend setter. You see, circumstances in our house have reached such proportions as to keep me from blogging for months. That is a long time for someone who loves to write. Circumstances I am referring to are issues within myself that have to deal with anger management.

I am not an angry person. For those of you who know me personally, you know that I am a fairly easy going person with a pretty cool head. But for some reason, there has been a monster sleeping within me that seems to come alive. It also seems to have a propensity to enjoy engulfing small children.

It seems that the only people on this earth that are able to wake this monster within are my own lovable monkeys. They don't mean to do it, I just think they like to play with the monster, so they ask it to come out and play. The only problem is that they don't ever seem to remember that this monster does not play nice.

So what does this have to do with new cars? Well, as I was praying for God to make this monster move away, I started noticing advertisements for webinars, books, DVDs, and tapes dealing with parental anger. Did you know, up to 50% of homeschooling moms describe similar symptoms of anger and rage coming out in their everyday lives? Even those like me who tend to be level headed people most of the time.

Weird! It's like God was trying to tell me something!

So, how has it been? Well, actually, it's been pretty good around here. The monster comes out to play less often. It still thrives on the anger my children seem to give it, but it comes out less and less, and thanks to me (and my trend setting abilities), now you too can have help when you need it.

The website I have found to be the most helpful has been the National Center for Biblical Parenting. They even have "Parenting University" an online seminar you can watch and learn in 5 minute segments.

No comments: